Work Permits

Child Labor- M.G.L. Chapter 149, sections 56 through 105

Employment permits are required for minors under age 18. Employment permits must be issued for and maintained at the site where the minor is working. Employments permits are issued by the superintendent of schools in the city or town where the minor attends school or lives.

For more information on obtaining an employment permit, please contact the division of Occupational safety at 617.626.6975 or visit ~ For Workers and Unions ~ Wage and Employment Related Programs ~ Youth Employment. 

Students can obtain permits from 10:00 to 11:00 a.m. each school day, please ask for the Vocational Coordinators Office. Permits may also be obtained when school is closed by appointment by contacting the Vocational Coordinators office at 978.373.4101 x 267, or by visiting the superintendents office in the city or town of residence.

The Youth Employment Permit Application for 14 – 17 year-olds is available at

If you need additional information please contact:

Beverly DeSalvo
Vocational / Technical Coordinator
978.373.4101 x 267