The famous Haverhill poet, John Greenleaf Whittier, would no doubt be pleased that his gravestone is being repaired at the high school that bears his name. The historical marker broke in half when it fell from one of the chains that suspended it in the Amesbury Union Cemetery. The corner of the marker also chipped off, but the repairs are appropriately being made at Whittier Tech.
Students studying metal fabrication made a new support for the hanger and CAD students used their 3-dimensional printer to design and craft a new corner for the metal marker, which was then cast from aluminum in the metal fabrication shop. Finally, the two pieces of the original aluminum gravestone were welded back together. It has the year 1663 carved on it, the year the Amesbury cemetery on Main Street opened. The poet and abolitionist was born in Haverhill in 1807 and also lived in Amesbury. He died in 1892 in Hampton Falls, NH